User Tested: a guide on using human insight for your business
A practical guide on how to put customers back into the center of your business model
With so many digital experiences touching our lives—and businesses—it’s understandable to feel like you’re drowning in data. There’s a dashboard or chart for just about everything, but data alone can’t help you understand and empathize with your customers. No amount of it will take you inside their heads, help you see the world through their eyes, or let you experience what it’s really like to be your customer. Only human insight from real people can do that.
About the book
Perfect for any industry, User Tested: How the World's Top Companies Use Human Insight to Create Great Experiences was co-authored by the chief insights officer and the CEO of UserTesting—a SaaS company fundamentally changing the way both B2B and consumer brands find out what real people think and feel. The book reflects the authors’ commitment to helping you position the customer squarely in the center of your business model by weaving their true voices throughout your company’s decision making.
Hear from authors Janelle Estes and Andy MacMillan as they discuss their latest project
Who is User Tested for?
User Tested gives both individual contributors and executives an approachable, pragmatic playbook for stepping beyond standard business metrics and infusing real human insight into every business decision, design, and experience.
In this book you’ll:
- Learn how businesses became obsessed with data—but disconnected from their customers—and why that’s not sustainable
- Get the basics about how to capture human insight through user testing, including how to find the right people, ask the right questions, and make sense of and act on all the insights you uncover
- Dive into a detailed playbook that shares real-world examples of how you can collect and operationalize human insight across the teams in your organization.
- Learn how to evangelize the power of human insight throughout your organization
Breaking it down
Part 1: The Challenge: Understanding Customers as Human, Not Data Points
- Competing in the Experience Economy
- Why & How Human Insight Powers Great Experiences
Part 2: The Solution: Human Insight Powers Customer-Centric Actions
- Matching A User Test Approach to Your Desired Learnings
- How to Get Access to the Perspectives That Matter
- Capture & Analyze: Sifting Through the Noise to Find the Signal
- Take Action on Human Insight: Decide Where and How to Apply Your Learnings
Part 3: The Playbook: How Human Insight Fits Into Your Business
- Product Development: Creating Products People Love
- Getting Inside the Heads of Your Buyers
- Optimizing the Holistic Customer Journey
Part 4: The Culture Shift: Applying Human Insight at Scale
- Bottom Up: The Grassroots Movement
- Top Down: How Executives Can Support and Model Change
Praise for User Tested
This is a carousel might have auto-rotating slides enabled. Activate any of the buttons to disable rotation. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate, or jump to a slide using the slide dots.
A deep understanding of your customers is the cornerstone to building an exceptional product or service. It’s what sets leading companies apart from their competitors. Andy MacMillan and Janelle Estes are masterful in their ability to transform data into human insight and customer knowledge.
This book highlights that we’re all living in the Age of the Customer—and that crafting exceptional customer experiences starts with listening to your most important stakeholders and turning feedback into true human insight.
As a product leader that prides myself on being strong analytically, there is no stronger lesson I've learned than you can't spend enough time listening to your users. User Tested not only explains why but gives you the tips and tools to do it effectively.
About the authors
Janelle is an expert research practitioner fascinated by human behavior and intrigued by data insight. She brings over 15 years of experience conducting large-scale customer research initiatives for both B2C and B2B companies across a variety of industries to help them transform their customer, user, and brand experiences. Janelle is responsible for stewarding the future of Human Insight and translating that into opportunities to evolve the UserTesting platform. Prior to UserTesting, Janelle held UX research consulting roles at Nielsen Norman Group and Forrester Research.
Andy brings 20 years of enterprise SaaS experience to UserTesting. As a former product executive at Oracle and Salesforce, he saw the critical role that customer-centricity plays in creating great experiences. By helping companies become more customer-centric, he has grown multiple enterprise SaaS businesses to hundreds of millions of dollars.